Oberkochen/Stuttgart, 28 September 2010 – Composites are the materials of the future. The impetus to use composite materials is coming primarily from the aerospace industry. However, these light but rigid materials are also coming to the fore in automobile development and in “young” sectors such as the wind power industry. Following the Composite Excellence initiative launched at AMB 2010, the LMT Group is pooling its expertise in this growth sector and presenting the broadest product range on the market.
According to forecasts by the experts, the worldwide demand for carbon fibres will almost double by the year 2020. This trend presents new challenges for the tools used in manufacturing and processing these working materials. As a specialist in machining solutions, the LMT Group has over 40 years of experience with composite materials and plastics. Following the Composite Excellence initiative, LMT is now combining its expertise in this market of the future. “Our tools are highly sought-after in very different industries as a result of the diverse uses of these new materials,” explains Alessandro Telesio, managing director of LMT Tool Systems, the sales company of the LMT Group. “The Composite Excellence project enables us to pass on the existing experience within the Group to users in very different industries.”
The initiative is being backed by the two LMT competence centres for machining composites and plastics: LMT Onsrud, USA, and LMT Belin, France. The focus is on three areas of application.
Complete tool programme
The LMT Group can offer the broadest tool portfolio by concentrating its expertise in the plastics and composites segment. Highlights of the product programme being presented at AMB 2010 are:
- LMT Belin Sapphire Cutter: Thanks to a special PCD blade, the sapphire single lip cutter achieves qualities in the finishing of acrylic and plexiglass materials that are otherwise only possible with natural diamond – and it does so at significant lower cost.
- LMT Belin Countersink Drill: This drill is a specialized tool for the machining of multilayer laminated materials (carbon-fibre reinforced plastic stacks) made of carbon-fibre reinforced plastic, aluminium and titanium.
- LMT Belin Mono-PCD Drill: When it comes to producing the smallest bore diameters, the drill with a monolithic PCD tip is more reliable, more precise and more efficient than conventional solid carbide or PCD tools.
- LMT Onsrud DFC Compression Mill: As a result of its counter-rotating twist, the diamond-coated solid carbide compression mill prevents delamination and unclean cutting edges in peripheral layers.
- LMT Onsrud High Performance Composite Router: Rather than grinding, this router cuts the work materials. The heat is transported away with the chips, whichresults in longer tool life and smooth edges.
- LMT Onsrud Ball Nose Endmill: The ball contour mill is optimized for the production of surface contours without any processing marks – for example, for the cutting of plastic inlays intended to prevent friction in artificial joints.